ASIATODAY.ID, JAKARTA – Head of the Padang Search and Rescue Agency, West Sumatra, Abdul Malik said that 11 climbers of Mount Marapi were reported to have died as a result of the eruption of Mount Marapi.
“The joint team has succeeded in finding three survivors and 11 people who are dead and currently the evacuation process is underway from the top to the bottom,” said Abdul Malik, Monday 4 December 2023.
Based on data from the Padang Search and Rescue Agency, as many as 75 climbers were registered at the post and 49 of them had been evacuated safely. Some have returned home, and some were rushed to two hospitals, namely in Padang Panjang and Bukittinggi.
“So the total number of findings today as of 07.10 WIB is 14 people, and there are 12 people who need to be searched,” added Malik.
Based on a press release from the Indonesian Center for Volcanology and Geological Disaster Mitigation (PVMBG), the latest developments on Mount Marapi’s activity as of December 3 2023 at 18.WIB are as follows:
– An explosive eruption occurred on December 3 2023 at 14.54 WIB with the height of the ash column observed to be around 3000 meters above the peak (5891 m above sea level). The ash column was observed to be gray in color with thick intensity leaning towards the east.
– This eruption was recorded on a seismograph with a maximum amplitude of 30 mm and a duration of 4 minutes 41 seconds
– The eruption on December 3 2023 at 14.54 WIB was accompanied by pyroclastic flows towards the north with a sliding distance of 3 km. At this time, subsequent eruptions are still ongoing based on PVMBG instrumental observations.
– The eruption event on December 3 2023 at 14.54 WIB was not preceded by a significant increase in volcanic earthquakes. Deep Volcanic Earthquakes (VA) were only recorded 3 times between 16 November 2023 – 2 December 2023.
– The deformation equipment (Tiltmeter) located at the summit station shows a horizontal pattern on the radial axis and slight inflation on the tangential axis. This shows that the eruption process is taking place quickly and the pressure center is only at a shallow depth (around the peak).
Based on observations, analysis of visual and instrumental data up to December 3 at 18.00 WIB, the activity level of Mount Marapi remains at level II (alert). (AT Network)
Check out other news and articles at Google News